16 April 2013

A Sampling of Progress

I know I said you could injure me if I didn't do a post on the 14th, but I have a very good excuse! We rented a Uhaul and moved another truckload from Old Home to the Squat. How do we have so much stuff? As we were driving it all over I kept hoping the truck would burst into flames, incinerating all the crap I've accumulated over the years and forcing me to make due with what we'd already brought with us. We did get our bikes, though, which we are very excited about. It's been years since we lived in a neighborhood where we could actually ride them around. Thanks to my pops for bringing his pickup into town and helping out!




We've been busy working on the place, too! Mr. Squatter put some shelves up in the sink room, which make a world of difference. We bought them in December, but were waiting to fix the walls before installing them. We finally decided that as it will be some time before we have the money or time to invest in a room that houses our dirty dishes, and the shelves can always be taped off or taken down when we get around to it, we should have a place to put our clean dishes in the meantime. You know, like normal people. I'm kinda glad we waited, though, because before I probably wouldn't have been so excited over something as simple as having kitchen shelves.


Wall mounted drying racks!

Do you remember the horrible hallway in the back of the house? Allow me to refresh your memory:








 It's finally painted. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but it's a different shade of green. Before it was lime, now it's sage. I'm not thrilled with it, but it's an improvement for sure.


Fun with Faux Bois!

The hats are staying put, but the scarves are moving; they make the wall too bottom heavy, and that's only a handful of my collection. Luckily, my mother gave me the big glass pig she used to keep her scarves in. It is SO freaking cool!

Finally, here is the new and improved bathroom:

Spot the Squatter!
The upper portion is the same dark grey we used in the bedroom (Iron by Rodda), with a bright white lower portion.

Jewelry Storage Solution

 After I'd finished painting, I spent the rest of the evening wandering into the bathroom and just staring. It's SUCH a huge upgrade from the Easter colors with poo-brown trim that were in there before. Unfortunately we seem to have skipped over this room when taking before pictures, so you'll just have to trust me when I say it was bad. It was pink, yellow and lime green, covered with a coat of primer and trimmed in brown. It was the same colors as the hallway door, pictured above. Even the sink and clawfoot tub exteriors were painted, as well as the pipes coming off of them. I still need to touch up the trim, paint the primed shelf and install some quarter-round where the walls meet the ceiling, but even with the sloppiness of those parts I smile like a nerd every time I go in there now.

EDIT: I found some pictures that kind of show the bathroom after the new floor and primer, but before the final paint job:

 

Other than that we don't have much to show you in terms of the Squat. I've been working on Colin's fifth birthday present. I don't think his mom looks at this blog, so it should be safe to post a preview:

Front

Back



Kids are into quilts, right? No? Crap.

We hope you're all well, and will check back in when we have something to show you!









No comments:

Post a Comment